Tuesday, December 2, 2014

AU2014 Day 1 - Takeaways and Lessons Learned

My takeaways from Day one of AU2014:

1. "I'm a ten year old girl and I know how to weld. What can't I do?" Powerful.

2. When attending any session about a subject or software you already have a level of experience with, a class will usually be one level of complexity lower than it sounds from the description.

3. If it looks like a class you've sat into isn't for you, don't hesitate to leave. If it's not appropriate for your level, you'll just end up frustrated and disappointed when it's over.

4. The above said, apparently you can't get into a class more than 15 minutes after it starts. Hopefully this was a misunderstanding by the person I dealt with (I was able to talk my way in).

5. Be nice to the volunteers/staff. It helps with issues like #4.

6. AIMS (Autodesk Infrastructure Map Server) is pretty cool. Quick GIS maps launched as web interface.

7. Very excited to deploy Vault at DIA. Even more excited to work for an agency that wants to lead in our industry and gives us what we need to do that.

8. Got to test drive SysQue. Most tools and plugins aren't as cool in person as they are on the presentation videos, but this one is. If you're an MEP designer or contractor, you should be giving it a look.

9. The best thing about AU is the people. It's a great chance to connect with old acquaintances and make new, exciting ones.

10. Today's step count: 16,921

11. "I'm a ten year old girl and I know how to weld. What can't I do?"
Some things are worth repeating.

No comments:

Post a Comment