Monday, October 6, 2014

Changes

For four and a half years I worked for a small architecture firm in Denver as an Intern, Job Captain and BIM Manager. As a firm we were dedicated to pushing BIM as a valuable set of tools to our clients, our consultants, our contractors and ourselves. We did this passionately, in some cases knowing we were trying to sing into hurricane winds, but still hoping one or two notes would get through. Often we made progress. Occasionally we knew that at the very least, we'd be better practiced for the next effort to cajole someone onto the Starship BIM.

Six months ago that came to an end as I departed for a new opportunity. No longer will I be trumpeting and pushing BIM as a designer. Instead I will be pulling as the BIM Manager for the fifth largest facility of our type in the nation. We have arguably the highest BIM standards in the region and, within our particular industry, perhaps the highest standards globally.

So far this has been an incredible opportunity. Leaving the design industry and coming over to 'the dark side' as a facility owner has been an eye-opening experience.

This will still be my personal blog, not associated with my employer, all opinions here, expressed or implied, are my own and do not reflect official or unofficial positions of my employer.

What is changing is that instead of thinking about BIM and Revit in terms of small-business implementation, I will be considering it more directly from an Asset Management perspective, particularly in regards to aviation implementation.

Let the journey begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment