Monday, May 28, 2012

A BIM Perspective

There is no shortage of blogs about BIM and Revit, so why add one more voice to the chorus?
To understand that, a little explanation of who I am is necessary. I work for a small architecture firm in the Dencer area as the company wide BIM coordinator. I have been with the firm for just shy of three years and have seen us grow from a staff of four when I started to a staff of approximately twenty today.
So in this case, it's my hope to use this venue as a resource for my own co-workers and other interested readers with some general BIM knowledge and tricks as well as to provide some perspective to the AEC public on BIM in the small business.
In many ways small AEC firms approach BIM no differently than how many other firms handle BIM. In other ways though, we must approach things differently than a medium or large sized firm does.
Our company president also made the fairly unusual decision to go all-in with BIM, executing all of our projects using BIM software rather than CAD.
Some of the material presented here will be shortcuts, tips and tricks that I or others have found in executing BIM projects. Some posts will highlight difficulties and challenges. Others will outline presentations I have given to staff as a reference. Other posts will be targeted at non-users, such as marketing staff and some project managers who may never open BIM software themselves but who still seek to understand the lingo.
A final purpose behind this blog is more personal. It's to keep me thinking critically and creatively about the work I do and the field I am in. If no one else gets anything else out of this beyond that, then I will consider this endeavor a success. That said, I hope you, dear reader, will find value here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment